Friday, March 18, 2011

Here's to you NY!

If you didn't already know this. From the age of 10 - 33, I had the pleasure of "growing up" just north of New York City in Westchester County. Those who come from Westchester are glad let you know that it is the second richest county in North America, home of many famous people such as Paul Simon, Bill/Hillary Clinton, John D. Rockefeller, Puff Daddy and the list goes on. I have to say that I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunutiy to spend my time in that area. Not because of the rich and famous, although I do love the rich and famous, but for the other riches that growing up in Sub-Urban NY had to offer. When you live 30 miles from the biggest city in the world, the opportunities are endless! Growing up in the 80's  and 90's, I like to think that my friends and I took full advantage of everything life had to offer to us. Let me quickly share some of the things my mind lingers back to during my idle moments.

Food - As a 235lb man I often tell people that I didn't get this size from not liking food. Many memories were centered around food. Whether it was having a giant slice from Maria's Pizza, or working at Friendly's with all the hottest girls in high School, or late nights at the local diner. I am still convinced that I made cheese fries with gravy famous in Westchester...lol



Music -  For me the 80's and 90's were a time of GREAT music. The era of the Guitar Gods was taken over by the plaid wearing angst of the Grundge Era and the pop music was still awesome! The guido's had their I-roc Z's  with the dance music blasting and the Deadheads could be smelt first, heard second, and then seen! For those of you who are from the area, how many of you remember lining up for your wrist band for the lastest coolest concert? For shows at Giant Stadium, MSG, the Paramount in Peekskill, Jones Beach, and again the list goes on. Lining up for Ticketmaster at the Toys and Sports Wharehouse(TSW) will always hold a great memory for me. We loved the music and the music loved us. I still to this day remember hearing "Stand" by REM twelve times in one afternoon! How great was it to encite a whole section of Giants stadium to get up to dance during a U2 concert on the Achtung Baby Tour? How great was it to see Stevie Ray Vaughn at the Pier in NYC as the sun set on New Jersey and the wind wafted down off the Aircraft Carrier Entrepid? How great was it to make fake tickets to Grateful Dead concerts or see Fishbone, STP, and RHCP at Jones Beach in one show? The answer is there is nothing like it!! I was blessed to have those opportunities. Thank you NY!!


WOW... I have to admit I am a little overwhelmed here thinking about those days. What great times we had. The glue that held it all together here is 2 factors. NY and friendships. If NY was not such a great place and I did not have such an amazing group of friends to enjoy it with life would have been a whle lot different. My guess is a whole lot more boring too. So thanks to you New York and thanks to you to all the people that helped make it even more special to a little boy from Newfoundland!

Thanks!
Johnny O.

P.s. - You ask "Why the trip down memory lane?" Well the answer is I will be heading back to NY in a week. Stay tuned for video and photo blogs of my journey!

P.s.s. - Thank you NY!!


P.s.s.s. - What the hell, one more.....

_________________________________

Feel free to Follow ProAdventurer on Twitter @ProAdventurer

As well on my Facebook fanpage Adventures with Johnny O.

No comments:

Post a Comment