Friday, January 7, 2011

The surface interval of your life!

In scuba diving we have what is called a "Surface Interval". Essentially it is a time between dives that you let your body do it's thing and process some of the gasses that built up in your system during the 1st dive. The surface interval can be a great time during your dive day.

You can :
  • reminisce with your buddies about the dive you just did
  • relax
  • enjoy some good food
  • plan for the next dive
  • many many more
All the while your body is doing it's best getting rid of the gases. If you noticed I said "CAN". Just like everything else in life you get out of it what you put into it. So, if during this surface interval you stress about the next dive, do strenuous activities, and not relax, you run the risk of not letting your body do it's job effectively and to it's greatest potential.

The surface interval of your life!

Stop now, take this story and super-impose it over your life. Every day, week, month, year, etc we go, go, go. We inadvertantly take time off, weekends, vacations, holidays. Do we really take the time to let our body do it's best?

I just spoke with a lovely young lady, lets call her Maybelle. Maybelle is hard at her goal setting for 2011. Constantly complaining that she can't afford to go the spa. She had seen my facebook posts supporting the Ocean Quest Spa(http://tinyurl.com/36nubvn) and my recent posts about their new fan page(http://tinyurl.com/3xqtoqj). Please note that by her own admission the prices at the OQ Spa are VERY reasonable. Hmmm... this is starting to sound like a shameless plug. Let me get back on track...

What we came up with was that Maybelle's rest and relaxation time had not been built into her goal setting plan. Here is what we discussed:

  • Habit 1 - Be proactive - Decide to have more R&R in your life.
  • Habit 2 - Think with the end in mind - Figure out what your R&R goals are.
  • Habit 3 - Put 1st things 1st - For this one I recommended for Maybelle to write out a list of 5 things that would help her relax and enjoy life more. Then I asked her to write 5 things she didn't like to do. Then I asked her to figure out a way to swap the two. Remove the 5 things she does't like to make room for the 5 things she does(For divers... this would be called the "Nitrox of life"... Bad joke I know ;-).
Once that was all done I left her to mull those over for the day. Maybelle is a very smart woman, I am sure she will come back with all sorts of ways to to put the surface interval back into her life.

Add a surface interval to your life!! Just say no, stop, drop, and role,  & enjoy your life at all costs!!

WAIT....Isn't it friday? Weekends are a great time for R&R.... Isn't that what they were invented for? ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!!

All the best,
Johnny O.

P.s. - I found this awesome song on youtube today that I thought Maybelle would enjoy. I hope you enjoy it too!


P.s.s. - What are your 5 R&R goals...Please let me know in the comment section, because maybe there is one I can use for my own R&R list :-)

P.s.s.s - Don't forget to sign up for my facebook fanpage. http://tinyurl.com/2v8dez9 Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!

__________________________________

Feel free to Follow ProAdventurer on Twitter @ProAdventurer

As well on my Facebook fanpage Adventures with Johnny O.

No comments:

Post a Comment