Monday, January 17, 2011

You can kill the dreamer and still not kill the dream

It's funny how life throws you a situation to help you learn the lesson you WANT to learn in life. It's even funnier that you may not have even realized you wanted to learn them...lol!!

That's right... I said it. I want to learn these lessons too. I'm no guru, I just happen to have read this book and want to share the principles because I believe in them. There is a great quote my father always says that can describe this best.

"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king." So with my good eye I am going to press on and talk about :

Habit 4 - Think Win/Win - Principles of Mutual Benefit

On this Martin Luther King Day I think it very fitting to discuss the topic of Thinking Win Win. Read here what Stephen R. Covey describes in Habit 4: (From https://www.stephencovey.com/)

"Habit 4: Think Win-Win
Think Win-Win isn't about being nice, nor is it a quick-fix technique. It is a character-based code for human interaction and collaboration. Most of us learn to base our self-worth on comparisons and competition. We think about succeeding in terms of someone else failing--that is, if I win, you lose; or if you win, I lose. Life becomes a zero-sum game. There is only so much pie to go around, and if you get a big piece, there is less for me; it's not fair, and I'm going to make sure you don't get anymore. We all play the game, but how much fun is it really?

Win-win sees life as a cooperative arena, not a competitive one. Win-win is a frame of mind and heart that constantly seeks mutual benefit in all human interactions. Win-win means agreements or solutions are mutually beneficial and satisfying. We both get to eat the pie, and it tastes pretty darn good!
A person or organization that approaches conflicts with a win-win attitude possesses three vital character traits:
  1. Integrity: sticking with your true feelings, values, and commitments
  2. Maturity: expressing your ideas and feelings with courage and consideration for the ideas and feelings of others
  3. Abundance Mentality: believing there is plenty for everyone
Many people think in terms of either/or: either you're nice or you're tough. Win-win requires that you be both. It is a balancing act between courage and consideration. To go for win-win, you not only have to be empathic, but you also have to be confident. You not only have to be considerate and sensitive, you also have to be brave. To do that--to achieve that balance between courage and consideration--is the essence of real maturity and is fundamental to win-win." 

Dr. Martin Luther King understood this principle in life. Actually I believe he lived it and lived all 7 of the habits.

Please take a minute to check out the video on this link: http://tinyurl.com/4auqbc3

How can you use win win thinking to make your adventure life more enjoyable? Let me count the ways:
  1. When everybody wins there are no losers
  2. When everybody wins you enjoy your life more
  3. When everybody wins you are free at last.
Free at last to focus on what is important. Free to enjoy this very moment and every one to follow. Free to know that life is meant to be easy and that there is enough fruit on the tree for everyone!

Like I said before I am not a guru, and I don't have all your answers. You do! The next time a conflict arises stop for a moment and insist that nobody has to compromise, insist that everybody wins! At first it isn't easy, that's for sure. I promise you that the more you make an effort to find the win win in every situation it will indeed get easier as you move forward enjoying your life more!

Thanks,
John O.

 P.s. - There will be no p.s.'s today ;-)

______________________________________

Feel free to Follow ProAdventurer on Twitter @ProAdventurer

As well on my Facebook fanpage Adventures with Johnny O.

No comments:

Post a Comment